Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Last Day of School and 5th Grade Graduation

Charley's 5th grade graduation ceremony was absolutely precious.  She had the honor of starting the program by singing the "The Star-Spangled Banner" with a few of her friends, and they were fantastic.  After that, my sentimental girl spent most of the day in tears.  Even though she is so ready for middle school, she loved every second at Rutland and was sad for her time to be over.  I followed her for an hour that morning with my camera for pictures and hugs with countless friends and teachers.  Amma and I even got teary when she gave her last hug as a 5th grader to Mrs. Dee Dee.  

I could have been en emotional mess, because change doesn't set well with me, but I realized the morning of 5th grade graduation that we have sixteen straight years at Rutland...six down, ten to go.  Thankfully our girl will get to see all of her favorite teachers as a big sister.  The tears came for me when I saw the bus round the corner to our street that afternoon.  My mind flashed back to the first time I let her ride the bus on the second day of kindergarten, after proclaiming she would never be a bus rider the day before.  I just don't see how that could have been six years ago, because it really does feel like yesterday.  It shouldn't be a surprise that Charley has asked her bus driver, Mrs. Sophie, to transfer to a middle school route, because she has loved her so much.  The feeling is obviously mutual...that she loves Charley, not that she is transferring.  I saw tears from Mrs. Sophie as that door opened and she hugged Charley one last time on the last day of 5th grade.  

Charley thrived at Rutland Elementary.  She excelled in all of her classes, never met a stranger, and has grown into such an impressive young lady.  I have no doubt the foundation built during her time at Rutland is exactly what she needs to be ready for the next chapter.





















































No comments:

Post a Comment