Friday, January 6, 2023

New England Road Trip - Camryn's Par-Tea at the Boston Harbor and Rhode Island

When I realized that Camryn's birthday was going to be on day 8 of our road trip and that we would still be in Boston, I immediately knew how I wanted to celebrate.  A Par-TEA in the Boston Harbor seemed like the perfect 2nd birthday for our Camryn Jean!  My packing list for the trip was 6 pages long, and I made sure to include a section with all the necessary items to pull off the sweetest par-tea.  I wish I could have captured the looks on everyone's faces when I pulled out my party bag of tricks when we got to the harbor, because it was priceless!  Unfortunately we had a tiny window between rain showers, so it was a quick set up...but gosh, it was perfect and adorable!  The girls wore pearl necklaces and party hats, we had cupcakes and "tea" on the cutest paper tea cups, and we sang happy birthday like no one was watching...and by the time we finished the par-tea, they were definitely watching!  Amma was helping clean up and almost threw my table cloth away until I told her it was Grandma Ina's...hello, you can't have a tea party without a lace tablecloth, right?  The only thing that would have made it more perfect was if I had broken down and bought expandable top hats for Craig, Grandad Mike and Billy, but I just couldn't justify $66 on 3 hats that would have taken a lot of convincing for them to actually wear!  

The birthday girl was in such a good mood for her par-tea, and she just ate up all the attention.  It shouldn't be a surprise that we had to scrap our original plan of having the par-tea then doing the Boston Tea Party Museum tour.  The available times just didn't work out, so we took pictures, bought Cam a book at the gift shop and left town for our next stop...Newport, Rhode Island.  

We did most of our afternoon sightseeing from the van (thanks to a very rainy day), but the whole town was so cute.  We will definitely go back!  We continued our celebration with ice cream for the birthday girl...which also happens to be when our most favorite Amma story occurred.  It's much better when told in person, but the gist is she got soaked (like drenched) trying to find her phone in route to a restroom outside of the ice cream shop, and I knew we were all in for it when she turned the corner and I saw her sopping wet head and clinched teeth with a protruding under bite.  I told Carter we needed to walk away, but she insisted we stay for the "show!"  When Amma came out of the bathroom and was ranting to Grandad Mike about being soaked, Carter looked at me with the most expressive eyes and hand gestures and said "smackdown!" I died!  It's one of those stories that took a little while to be funny for Amma, but she came around!



































































No comments:

Post a Comment