Friday, January 21, 2022

WILD ONE

Every single thing about Cam's WILD ONE party was so much fun!  I knew all along that this was my "last, first birthday party" to plan, and I was determined to make it memorable!  Grandaddy Charlie summed it up when he said, "today was a really good day!"  And it sure was!  

I've decided that it doesn't matter how prepared I think I am or how much I think I'm scaling back, the week of any party around here is insane!  Cam's birthday week was probably one of the craziest, and it was fall break so everyone was home making it even crazier.  At one point I texted Kari and Chesley and said, "I think I've broken my mom!"  haha!  Amma spent the week with us and was such a big help...she babysat, prepped food, washed dishes, ran errands, stayed up late, and even did "crafts" which is her least favorite thing.  By the night before the party, I think she was done with me and my over the top ways.  Craig was also done with me and my over the top ways.  I believe he said, "hosting parties like this and having this many people coming to our house is physically painful to me!"  All I can say is that I love parties and hosting and Craig loves me, so he puts up with it as best as he can.  I should also say that our stairway and playroom had just been painted a light cream.  Our kids don't touch the wall...apparently other kids do, and I could see his anxiety every time a new hand print appeared.  It was also extremely windy and chilly outside, which meant the majority of the party was indoors...also not our original plan.

Prepping the decor with Kari is always one of my favorite parts.  I joke that she is the yin to my party yang, and that couldn't be more true.  Our ideas feed off each other, which sounds crazy, but that is exactly what happens.  We had a smaller (than normal) to do list for Cam's party, because I had big plans for the Jeep photo booth!  It took forever, but it was totally worth it!  Kari's signs and food tags were the perfect additions to my Hobby Lobby jungle decor and giant stuffed animals that I had borrowed from neighbors.  I finished off the details with a variety of palm leaves, gold painted animal figurines, wood rounds and printed pictures from Cam's first year.









The cupcakes and cake were made by Gianna, and I was on her calendar for over 9 months just to be safe.  With her yummy skills, you don't want to take a chance with her availability.  The rest of the food was delish, but even I have to admit the menu was ambitious.  For dessert we had 4 flavors of Gianna's mini cupcakes, Reese's peanut butter cookies, Oreo blondies, and pumpkin muffins.  For lunch we had Hawaiian ham and swiss, chicken salad croissants, pimento cheese croissants, veggie pizza, Ann's mix, Frito dip, taco pinwheels, fruit and dip, Chick-fil-A nuggets, sausage balls, spinach breadsticks and bruschetta.  Just typing all of that makes me exhausted...why did someone not intervene when I mentioned my plans?











Is it even a jungle themed party without a build your own trail mix bar?  I don't think so, and who doesn't love an edible party favor?  Because one favor is not enough, the big girls got leopard and cheetah slap bracelets and the littles got the most adorable animal pillows.



It's not lost on me the effort our guests made to be at Cam's party...which is probably why I went all out on the food and desserts.  We live out of town from all of our family, and it was so humbling to have everyone at our house.  Camryn spent most of her first year not liking people, but that was not the case at her birthday party.  She loved being the center of attention and put on a show!  I was worried that guests would come all this way and she would have nothing to do with them...thankfully I was wrong.  

Thanks to Chesley and Savannah, I was able to enjoy every single second of the party and not worry about documenting it.  Chesley photographed all three girls' first birthday parties, and I absolutely adore those pictures...and Chesley!  I hired Savannah to video the party, because every "last first birthday party" needs a videographer.  I have yet to watch that video and not cry!





















































The girls had never been in our new pool, and they really wanted to jump in at the end of the party.  Our pool company knew that, and they came that morning and worked until right when the party started.  They were actually pulling out of the driveway when guests were pulling in.  The water was cold even with the heater, but that didn't stop these brave girls from getting the very first swim!  







I can't think of a better occasion to use our outdoor entertaining space for the first time than celebrating our baby girl at her WILD ONE party!  I foresee so many celebrations in our family's future!

When the party was over and the birthday girl was down for a nap and all of the guests had left (including Charley and Carter), I looked at Craig and said, "we've got to do it...we can't let them have all the fun...we are gonna jump in that pool, too!"  He thought I had lost my mind (and rightfully so because it was stupid cold), but we ran outside and jumped off the ledge just like the girls did...the only difference is that we got out as quick as we got in!  


No comments:

Post a Comment