Thursday, June 13, 2013

Elliston Place Soda Shop

From the minute I discovered Elliston Place my freshman year of college, I was hooked.  Something about the hole-in-the-wall joint that had not been redecorated since it was built in the 1940’s captivated me.  Maybe I felt like I was in “Grease” or something, but I have always loved eating there any chance I could get.  I have spent many lunches, dates, girl’s nights, and celebrations at that dump, and I couldn’t have been more excited to introduce Charley to the place that holds so many college memories for me.  To an outsider it may not be so special, especially since it probably hasn’t been cleaned since the 1940’s and the waitresses probably started working there when it opened and haven’t been excited about their job in about 50 years, but the food and atmosphere make up for what it’s lacking.  My favorite is the hand-dipped, vanilla shake, which makes the perfect ending to a grilled cheese and fried okra.  Charley and I had already had lunch, but when she asked for ice cream, I knew Elliston Place would fulfill her craving...and mine, too!  Miss Priss loved sitting on the red bar stool drinking her very own vanilla shake, and I couldn’t have been more proud to be sitting next to her in one of my very favorite places.




No comments:

Post a Comment