Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Christmas Eve Dinner at Granny Katherine and Papa's House

It's not a secret that I don't love change.  I think there is a sense of security and identity in tradition, especially with families and holidays.  I have the most fond memories of Christmases each year, which is why I look forward to making those same, magical memories for my girls.  Eating, baking, wrapping, shopping, singing, and watching Hallmark movies with my very favorite people always fills my heart with pure joy.

Over the last few years I have begun to realize that Christmas, and holidays in general, have the potential to carry emotions that aren't always joyful and happy.  Each year I update my Christmas card address list with new friends and address changes, but there is one change I can't seem to make.  I can't remove names of people that have passed away.  As I address my cards, I smile and cry a little thinking of the precious people that I loved so much and now miss....Dink York, Irene Morgan, Euke and Nell Conner, Betty York, Marlene Shadowen, Sue Yates and Ann Thweatt are still on my address list, and I'm sure they will be for years to come.

I'm super sentimental and find myself thinking things like "this could be the last year things are the way I know and love," which is why I try to be intentional with how I spend my time with my family...especially for holidays.  I'm 33 years old and part of my story is that I've experienced very little loss.  I have all four of my grandparents, and the girls have seven great-grandparents...which is so rare and amazing.  During my lifetime, I've known things one way and the only change I've experienced has come from marriage or birth....until this year.

In early December, Aunt Eutonia was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given six to twelve weeks to live.  We all knew that Christmas Eve dinner at Granny Katherine and Papa's House was going to be a tough night.  How do you celebrate a holiday or put on a happy face when you know someone you love will not be there next year?  Our solution...ugly Christmas sweaters.  Thankfully the family made it extra redneck...which was extra funny...which was super helpful in creating smiles on a night that was very difficult and full of emotion.  Aunt Eutonia wasn't feeling well, so she stayed home, but Uncle Kenneth and the kids came for a little while.  We made special memories, despite our sadness.

Christmas time will forever be a reminder of when Aunt Eutonia got sick, but hopefully our new, ridiculous tradition will continue to create smiles and laughter for years to come....I know that is what Aunt Eutonia would want.































No comments:

Post a Comment